Making Others Smile: My New Project



I'm extremely lucky to have people who make me smile every single day, to have people, like my mom pictured above, who make my day just by talking to me about school or by complimenting me on my outfit.

I've been so blessed to have these people who make me smile, and recently I've realized I want to make somebody else smile, too.


About a week ago I had to write about what I "see my future holding for me" for my English class. As I was forced to consider the question, I realized something that I didn't necessarily see being a big part of my future, but I wanted it to be. I decided I want to make others happy.

This idea came to mind when I was remembering a story my mother told me a few weeks ago. She detailed how she had gone to New Seasons and picked out a plant, when the woman cashier told her how she had been wanting to get the same one, but was waiting until she received her paycheck. After my mom proceeded to talk to her for a bit, then check out and came home, my mom thought about this woman cashier. She thought about how we never have to think twice about buying a plant, but this woman had to plan out a time when she can afford something that makes her happy. So my mother went right back to New Seasons, picked out the same plant, and bought it for that young woman cashier. The girl was so grateful for this small, kind act my mom had done for her.

Now I've heard many stories like this before, but this one really stuck in my brain. After listening to this account, I realized that I want to do the same thing as my mom. I want to make people happy.

So as I sat there, looking down at my work, I decided that I want to make somebody smile each and every day. I want my future to be filled with things that not only make me happy, but things that make others happy, too. So I decided to make a plan: I'm going to try to make somebody smile every single day. And I don't just mean a family member or a friend, but a peer or a stranger. I'm going to try to make a difference in somebody's day, whether it's asking them how their days going, complimenting them on a cute outfit, or just being extra cheery when I pass by them.


Wish me good luck!


Comments

Popular Posts